One obvious way to use online tools for school and study is to help keep things organized.
What Is It?
There are different tools that will keep track of your to do lists for you, but they all have the same basic features. You can create specific tasks, organize them into lists or projects, set due dates for each task, and view these tasks in a single agenda or project-by-project. Some tools can do more, like send you notifications of tasks as they are due, or give you a mobile app for your smartphone to use wherever you go.
To see a variety of to do list tools, take a look at these:
- Remember The Milk
- Vitalist, an online tool for the Getting Things Done system
- Use your online account to keep track of tasks: Google Tasks in Google Calendar and Gmail; To Do lists in Yahoo Calendar, MSN/Hotmail/WindowsLive
How Is It Useful?
When you write out your to do lists on pieces of paper or on a calendar on the wall at home, it’s easy to lose track of updating the list or remembering what was due when. Using an online task organizer, you can keep that list in one place and get to it wherever you can connect to the web. If you have a smartphone or tablet, it’s even easier. Just like all of the online account or online collaboration tools we’ve looked at, it’s about keeping things in one easily-accessible place and not having lots of information in different spots.
Try It Out
If you have an online account with Google, Yahoo! or Hotmail/WindowsLive, use the help below to create a basic to do list and try organizing just one project to start with. It might be a class you’re taking, a report you’re writing, or even a project at home. Don’t try to organize everything all at once – start with something simple and add projects as you get the hang of it.
For a little more organization, or if you don’t have an online account, give one of other tools a try. Remember the Milk and Todoist are the simplest to use, but all of them are good for different kinds of projects. Look at the lists of features and see what works for you.
Help & Resources
- ToodleDo has a list comparing the major task managers. They only compare the free versions, however, so make sure to look at the features available with upgrades to Remember the Milk and Todoist.
- Remember the Milk: Getting Started, help, FAQ
- Todoist: Quick video demonstration of features
- ToodleDo: list of features and pricing, help, discussion forums
- Vitalist: Quick video demonstration, newws blog
- Google Tasks: help